Ella Dolphin, group publishing director of the contemporary women’s group at Hearst Magazines UK, including Cosmopolitan, blogs for LIVE@AdvertisingWeek with her tips to engage millennials – Cosmo’s main audience.
Five tips to make advertising engaging to Millennials
1) Be positive! They react well to positive messages and have started to actively seek out “positive blogs” online
2) They are highly aware of social issues so communicate what your brand purpose is, it matters to them
3) Don’t just give them the message, speak with them. If you engage them in a conversation they will share and amplify your message
4) They are smart and they appreciate targeted, clever campaigns. Be disruptive and surprise them whenever you can
5) Get to the point. This is a generation used to communicating in under 140 characters and quite often inspired by one strong visual